250th Charter Anniversary
Feast & Fireworks at the Mountain School
October 22, 2011
U-Tube Fireworks Set Up & Display
by Patrick Angstadt
On July 11, 2011 Barry & Barb Griffith led the first of a series of guided tours to historically significant locations in Shrewsbury.
The first tour was to Split Rock Cave, where William Russell lived while building his house of “squared logs”. Here is some of the information passed out prior to the hike and some photos.
Split Rock Cave Photos
(Click here for photos of the 7/11/11 Hike to Split Rock Cave)
Descendants of William Russell
Generation No. 1
1. WILLIAM1 RUSSELL was born 1605, and died February 14, 1661/62. He married MARTHA.
Children of WILLIAM RUSSELL and MARTHA are:
2. i. PHILIP2 RUSSELL, b. 1650, Cambridge, MA; d. February 07, 1730/31.
ii. JOSEPH RUSSELL.
Generation No. 2
2. PHILIP2 RUSSELL (WILLIAM1) was born 1650 in Cambridge, MA, and died February 07, 1730/31. He married (1) JOANNACUTLER June 16, 1680. She died November 26, 1703. He married (2) SARAH BROOKS October 18, 1705.
More About PHILIP RUSSELL and JOANNACUTLER:
Marriage: June 16, 1680
More About PHILIP RUSSELL and SARAH BROOKS:
Marriage: October 18, 1705
Child of PHILIP RUSSELL and JOANNACUTLER is:
3. i. JAMES3 RUSSELL, b. July 23, 1681, Lexington, MA; d. April 01, 1748, Lexington, MA.
Generation No. 3
3. JAMES3 RUSSELL (PHILIP2, WILLIAM1) was born July 23, 1681 in Lexington, MA, and died April 01, 1748 in Lexington, MA. He married MARY HOWE January 10, 1705/06 in Lexington, MA.
More About JAMES RUSSELL and MARY HOWE:
Marriage: January 10, 1705/06, Lexington, MA
Child of JAMES RUSSELL and MARY HOWE is:
4. i. SAMUEL4 RUSSELL, b. October 27, 1712, Lexington, MA.
Generation No. 4
4. SAMUEL4 RUSSELL (JAMES3, PHILIP2, WILLIAM1) was born October 27, 1712 in Lexington, MA. He married SARAH BRIANT BRYANT 1735.
More About SAMUEL RUSSELL and SARAH BRYANT:
Child of SAMUEL RUSSELL and SARAH BRYANT is:
5. i. WILLIAM5 RUSSELL, b. August 22, 1737, Sudbury , MA; d. November 05, 1828, Shrewsbury, VT.
Generation No. 5
5. WILLIAM5 RUSSELL (SAMUEL4, JAMES3, PHILIP2, WILLIAM1) was born August 22, 1737 in Sudbury , MA, and died November 05, 1828 in Shrewsbury, VT. He married KATHERINE BENT January 04, 1758, daughter of PETER BENT and MARY PARIS. She was born September 23, 1736, and died September 08, 1818 in Shrewsbury, VT.
More About WILLIAM RUSSELL and KATHERINE BENT:
Marriage: January 04, 1758
Children of WILLIAM RUSSELL and KATHERINE BENT are:
6. i. NATHAN6 RUSSELL, b. May 05, 1765, Barre MA; d. March 02, 1856, Shrewsbury, VT.
ii. SARAH RUSSELL, b. February 01, 1759, Barre, MA; m. BEZALEEL MYRICK, July 09, 1778.
More About BEZALEEL MYRICK and SARAH RUSSELL:
Marriage: July 09, 1778
7. iii. CATHRINE RUSSELL, b. May 15, 1761.
iv. MARY RUSSELL, b. April 06, 1763; m. BENJAMIN KILTON, October 26, 1786.
More About BENJAMIN KILTON and MARY RUSSELL:
Marriage: October 26, 1786
v. WILLIAM RUSSELL, b. April 18, 1767.
vi. MELESCENT RUSSELL, b. November 08, 1768.
vii. WILLIAM RUSSELL, b. October 23, 1770; m. MERCY FLETCHER, December 20, 1792.
More About WILLIAM RUSSELL and MERCY FLETCHER:
Marriage: December 20, 1792
viii. DORITHY RUSSELL, b. December 02, 1772.
ix. THADEAS RUSSELL, b. December 11, 1774.
Generation No. 6
6. NATHAN6 RUSSELL (WILLIAM5, SAMUEL4, JAMES3, PHILIP2, WILLIAM1) was born May 05, 1765 in Barre MA, and died March 02, 1856 in Shrewsbury, VT. He married (1) BETSY PATCH. He married (2) LYDIA JONES 1786, daughter of JONATHAN JONES and MARY BALL. She was born September 02, 1774 in Milford, MA, and died in Shrewsbury, VT.
More About NATHAN RUSSELL and LYDIA JONES:
Children of NATHAN RUSSELL and BETSY PATCH are:
i. LYDIA7 RUSSELL, b. 1813; m. SAMUEL KENDALL, February 11, 1836.
More About SAMUEL KENDALL and LYDIA RUSSELL:
Marriage: February 11, 1836
ii. MARIA RUSSELL, m. JEHIEL HITCHCOCK, September 28, 1838.
More About JEHIEL HITCHCOCK and MARIA RUSSELL:
Marriage: September 28, 1838
iii. BETSY RUSSELL.
iv. SUSAN RUSSELL, b. 1822.
v. IRA RUSSELL, b. 1820.
vi. KATE RUSSELL.
vii. ANN RUSSELL, b. 1818; d. January 08, 1892.
viii. NATHAN RUSSELL, b. 1822; d. February 12, 1851, Dedham, MA.
ix. WILLIAM RUSSELL, b. 1830; d. December 10, 1922; m. MIRANTHA L BROOKS; d. April 07, 1897.
Children of NATHAN RUSSELL and LYDIA JONES are:
8. x. PARIS7 RUSSELL, b. February 05, 1804; d. December 19, 1870.
xi. IRA RUSSELL.
xii. CYRUS RUSSELL.
xiii. HARRIET RUSSELL.
xiv. OLIVE RUSSELL, m. RICHARD SHAW, March 30, 1835, Middlebury, VT.
More About RICHARD SHAW and OLIVE RUSSELL:
Marriage: March 30, 1835, Middlebury, VT
xv. SAMUEL RUSSELL.
7. CATHRINE6 RUSSELL (WILLIAM5, SAMUEL4, JAMES3, PHILIP2, WILLIAM1) was born May 15, 1761. She married JAMES FLETCHER July 09, 1799.
More About JAMES FLETCHER and CATHRINE RUSSELL:
Marriage: July 09, 1799
Children of CATHRINE RUSSELL and JAMES FLETCHER are:
i. RUSSELL7 FLETCHER.
ii. FRED FLETCHER.
Generation No. 7
8. PARIS7 RUSSELL (NATHAN6, WILLIAM5, SAMUEL4, JAMES3, PHILIP2, WILLIAM1) was born February 05, 1804, and died December 19, 1870. He married ELIZA THOMAS December 18, 1834, daughter of AMOS THOMAS and NANCY GLEASON. She was born February 21, 1811 in Barre MA, and died 1881 in Shrewsbury, VT.
More About PARIS RUSSELL and ELIZA THOMAS:
Marriage: December 18, 1834
Children of PARIS RUSSELL and ELIZA THOMAS are:
9. i. LYMAN ALPHONSO8 RUSSELL, b. July 30, 1836; d. July 1928.
ii. IRA AUSTIN RUSSELL, b. November 27, 1838; d. 1915; m. MARY LORD; b. 1844; d. 1925.
iii. MARY ELIZABETH RUSSELL, b. October 25, 1841; d. July 29, 1843.
iv. CHARLES PARIS RUSSELL, b. July 06, 1844; d. 1933.
Generation No. 8
9. LYMAN ALPHONSO8 RUSSELL (PARIS7, NATHAN6, WILLIAM5, SAMUEL4, JAMES3, PHILIP2, WILLIAM1) was born July 30, 1836, and died July 1928. He married CARMELIA JANE BARNEY June 21, 1865, daughter of JEFFERY BARNEY and HARRIET EWING. She was born February 19, 1843 in Shrewsbury, VT, and died 1928.
More About LYMAN RUSSELL and CARMELIA BARNEY:
Marriage: June 21, 1865
Children of LYMAN RUSSELL and CARMELIA BARNEY are:
10. i. KATHERINE ELSIE9 RUSSELL, b. May 03, 1872, Russellville.
ii. BABY RUSSELL, b. October 05, 1866.
11. iii. NED M RUSSELL, b. October 29, 1867.
12. iv. HARRY L RUSSELL, b. January 11, 1876.
v. HARRIET RUSSELL, b. 1877.
Generation No. 9
10. KATHERINE ELSIE9 RUSSELL (LYMAN ALPHONSO8, PARIS7, NATHAN6, WILLIAM5, SAMUEL4, JAMES3, PHILIP2, WILLIAM1) was born May 03, 1872 in Russellville.
Children of KATHERINE ELSIE RUSSELL are:
13. i. THEODORE10 PERRY, b. 1909.
ii. RUSSELL PERRY, b. 1904.
iii. DOROTHY PERRY, b. 1903.
11. NED M9 RUSSELL (LYMAN ALPHONSO8, PARIS7, NATHAN6, WILLIAM5, SAMUEL4, JAMES3, PHILIP2, WILLIAM1) was born October 29, 1867.
Children of NED M RUSSELL are:
i. ALICE10 RUSSELL, b. 1898.
ii. MAURICE RUSSELL, b. 1902.
iii. HELEN RUSSELL, b. 1907.
iv. JARVIS RUSSELL, b. 1911.
v. DAVID RUSSELL, b. 1913.
12. HARRY L9 RUSSELL (LYMAN ALPHONSO8, PARIS7, NATHAN6, WILLIAM5, SAMUEL4, JAMES3, PHILIP2, WILLIAM1) was born January 11, 1876.
Children of HARRY L RUSSELL are:
i. LYMAN10 RUSSELL, b. 1907.
ii. JOHN RUSSELL, b. 1909.
iii. ELLEN RUSSELL, b. 1913.
Generation No. 10
13. THEODORE10 PERRY (KATHERINE ELSIE9 RUSSELL, LYMAN ALPHONSO8, PARIS7, NATHAN6, WILLIAM5, SAMUEL4, JAMES3, PHILIP2, WILLIAM1) was born 1909.
Child of THEODORE PERRY is:
i. JOHN11 PERRY.
Russell L Perry
2139 Macbeth Place
Riverside CA 92507
16 December 1980
Russell L Perry letter to Dawn Hance
Thank you for your letter of 14 November, with answers to some of my questions about Shrewsbury: in particular about the "hanging bridge" and the name of "Resigned" for a child.
Here's a xerox of part of Turnbeau's fine map, showing my recollection fo the lane going west from the roadto Northam from near the Biddle house, and the split rock cave and the ruins of an old log house. There wasn't much left of it in 1920-no roof at all, and as I recall, only one corner of squared logs. The ruin was about 200 feet east of the split rock, which was in what may have been the southern part of the lot between lot 49 and lot 82. The split rock would be the key, for I bet it hasn't moved. It was certainly some distance north of the Nathan Russell door stone at the top of the hill, for on at least one occasion, my great-Uncle Charles Russell drove to the top of the hill, and we walked north, over one or two stone fences to reach the opening around the split rock and house remains. I seem to recall my uncle saying something about a bowling green, but this may well be a little imagination awakened by your comment on Hinckley's recollection. If I say any more, it will be unfounded speculation.
I never knew of a house, or even remains of a house where P.R. shows on the 1869 map on p 75, but there may have been one.
I also enclose a map I sketched off from Turnbeau's excellent reproduction of the 1788 map on page 8. By comparison with the length of the lower boundary of Shrewsbury on a current USGS Topo map (with the east boundary extended dwon into the Plymouth square), I deduced the length of the lower boundary of lot 49 to be 119 rods, and then your letter arrived, stating it to be 116 rods. Of course I couldn't scale off Turnbeau's 1788 map within 0.01 inch, which would be about 5 rods. So I was glad to have your figure of 116 rods, and the direction E 40 S from the southwest corner of lot 49. I scaled the north-south length of lot 48 as 205 rods, which would make the area total 148 acres, which checks out with 68 acres for the lower portion, and 80 acres for the upper portion.
I presume the ones who know most about Russellville in the 1920's are my cousin Ellen B. Russell of Providence, RI (originally 46 Roberts Ave, Rutland, and my cousin David Russell (son of Ned M Russell, who took over the farm from my grandfather Lyman Russell). David worked for Bryand Chuck & Grinder in Springfield for many years.
In the history, I've just noticed that my grandfather Lyman Russell was elected maybe to the position of first selectman, on the 21st ballot, at 2:30 AM (p9). I think at one time he was Town Wood Surveyor, who could be called in as arbitrator if there was an argument over the number of cords in a pile of cordwood or possibly pulp wood. I don't see this position mentioned in p 10.