Megan A. LaChance, Esq.
Town Clerk
9823 Cold River Rd.
Shrewsbury, VT  05738

PHONE:  802-492-3511
FAX:        802-492-3383

[email protected]

& by appointment

Local Consent Form




To obtain a Marriage License, an application must be submitted to the Town Clerk.  To obtain a Marriage License, present the completed application in person to the Town Clerk.





 Animal Licenses are due on APRIL 1.  Please license you dog/wolf-hybrid to avoid late fees.  Be sure your dog wears the license tag as this helps with identification if the dog is found wandering.  Fees are as follows: spayed or neutered dogs $9; intact dogs $13.  After April 1 fees are: spayed or neutered dogs $13; intact dogs $17.  Licenses may be obtained by mail (9823 Cold River Rd), email ([email protected]), or at the office during regular business hours.  Be sure to provide a copy of any new rabies certificate.


Board of Civil Authority (BCA)
Per 24 V.S.A. § 801  The Town Clerk is the clerk of the Board of Civil Authority. 

A Handbook on Property Tax Assessment Appeals
(Revised 2009)

(The Vermont Institute for Government)


Agenda 2015-4-22
BCA 7-11-2016
BCA HEARINGS -7-25-2016
BCA 17-04-26 Organizational & Examination of Checklist
BCA 2017 07 18 Lister Appeal Warning & Notice
BCA 2018-05-30 Notice
2018 08 07 Lister Appeal Warning & Notice
BCA 19-05-22 Organizational & Examination of Checklist
2019-07-24 Warning&Notice
BCA 20-05-04 Electronic
BCA 20-06-30 Electronic
Grievance Appeal – Ferguson 8-18-20


BCA Minutes 4-22-2015
BCA Organizational 7-11-2016
BCA Minutes 7-25-2016
BCA Organizational 04-26-2017
BCA Minutes 7-18-2017

BCA Organizational 05-30-2018
BCA Minutes 8-7-2018
BCA Minutes 05-22-2019
BCA Minutes 2019-07-24
BCA Minutes 5-4-2020-Webex Tabulator
BCA Minutes 06-30-2020 Primary Location
BCA Minutes 08-18-2020-Ferguson Appeal

BCA Minutes 01-24-2022





SAFETY ZONE: A property owner may establish a 500-foot Safety Zone around an occupied dwelling, residence, barn, stable or other building with signs provided by the Fish & Wildlife Department. These signs shall be placed at each corner of the safety zone and no more than 200 feet apart. Shooting is prohibited in the Safety Zone and no wild animal may be taken within it without permission from the owner.

Posted Property Under Fish & Wildlife Law (Fish & Wildlife Regulations – General)

Hunting, fishing or trapping on properly posted land is illegal without written permission. This includes land posted for hunting, fishing or trapping by permission only. Properly posted land will have records filed with the town clerk and the Fish & Wildlife Department. See Title 10, V.S.A., Sections 5201 to 5206 (The fee for registering with the Town Clerk is $5.00.)

Whether the property is posted or not, a hunter or angler shall show their license if requested by the landowner.

It is illegal to damage or remove posters prohibiting hunting, fishing or trapping.

A person must leave the land immediately on demand of the owner, whether the land is posted or not.

(NEW this year) Posting & by Permission Only Signs

A landowner, or a person having the exclusive right to take fish or wild animals on land or the waters thereon may maintain signs stating that hunting, fishing, or trapping or any combination of the three is prohibited or by permission only.

See 10 V.S.A. Appendix Sect. 14 for fish stocking requirements to post against fishing.

Permission Only signs shall state the owner’s name and a method by which to contact the owner or a person authorized to provide permission to hunt, fish or trap on the property.

Posting and Permission Only Signs

    • The owner or person posting the land, shall annually record the posting at the town clerk’s office for a fee of $5.00.
    • Signs must be not less than 8 ½ inches by 11 inches.
    • Lettering and background on the signs must be of contrasting colors.
    • Signs must be maintained at all times and dated each year.
    • Signs must be erected on or near all boundaries, at each corner, and not over 400 feet apart.
    • Signs shall not be considered void if other language is added, as long as a reasonable person would understand that hunting, fishing or trapping are prohibited.
  • LOCATION OF POSTING SIGNS: Posting signs and “By Permission Only” signs must be erected on or near all the boundaries, at each corner and not over 400 feet apart.

What do I do to report game law violations?

Contact the Division of Fish and Wildlife Operation Game Theft Hotline Toll-Free at 1-800-292-3030 anytime, 24 hours per day. You will be given an OGT Case Number. You do not need to give your name at this time. From this phone call, a Fish and Wildlife Enforcement Agent can be dispatched or can return your call. Wildlife offenses need to be investigated immediately by enforcement agents if there is to be a chance of making an arrest. The longer the delay in getting information to the agent, the smaller the chances of obtaining an arrest and conviction.



Information Regarding Property Tax Abatement

What is tax abatement? Abatement is a statutory process for relieving taxpayers from the burden of property taxes, penalty (collection fees) and interest when the law authorizes abatement and when the board, in its discretion, agrees that the request is reasonable and proper. It exists to permit the board to prevent an injustice or to help a taxpayer who faces extraordinary circumstances that make it difficult for the taxpayer to meet his or her tax obligations. Abatements are cautiously granted insofar as they reduce the income to the town and require the town to either spend less or increase the taxes on the rest of the taxpayers to make up the difference.

The preceeding is a summary from About Abatement a 2014 publication of the Office of the Vermont Secretary of State, which outlines the process of Abatement for both the taxpayer and the Board of Abatement.

Although there is no specific time limit as to when requests for Tax Abatements can be made, it is helpful to have adequate time for the posting of Abatement Hearings and for the Board of Abatement to have scheduling options so that an appropriate quorum can be assembled.  It is also helpful from the Town’s perspective to understand it financial liability regarding abatements by the end of the calendar fiscal year December 31.

Please contact the Town Clerk if you would like to schedule an Abatement hearing or have questions about making an Abatement request.  It will be helpful in understanding your request if you can be as detailed as possible as to what property was lost or destroyed.  The Board of Abatement may ask for additional information pertaining to insurance and or FEMA claims, photographs or other material in order to make a fair and just decision.


Abatement Request Form



NOTICE 18-07-09

NOTICE 21-09-27

NOTICE 22-01-24

NOTICE 22-06-13

NOTICE 22-12-12


Abatement Minutes 2018-07-09

Abatement Minutes 2019-02-13

Abatement Minutes 2021-09-27

Abatement Minutes 2022-01-24

Abatement Minutes 2022-06-13


Unclaimed Property Listing

from VT Office of the State Treasurer




If you want to volunteer outside of Shrewsbury contact